I am a fully qualified proofreader with the Publishing Qualification Board (PQB)
What is proofreading?
Proofreading entails checking for accuracy of spelling, punctuation, grammar, capitalisation, vocabulary, syntax, editorial style and formatting.
What is editing?
Editing also involves removing errors but focuses more on content. In particular, it focuses on ensuring that the document makes sense as a whole: that ideas are organised logically, that paragraphs and sentences are clearly structured, and that the prose style - or choice of words - is appropriate. The ultimate aim is to ensure clarity and intelligibility.
What I offer
Over the years, I have supported many academic and business professionals, who are not native English speakers, by proofreading and editing the following types of documents, in order to achieve the maximum combination of professionalism and readability:
- Research papers
- Journal articles
- Papers for conferences
- Presentation slides
The fact that I live in Germany and speak German means that I have considerable experience in helping German native speakers who have to write documents in English.
How it works
- Upload your document - the system accepts most file formats.
- Enter your full name and email address.
- Include any specific requirements, such as a preference for British or American English, and editorial/formatting style (if applicable).
- You will receive an offer via email with the turnover time. This is usually less than one week, but can be more for lengthy documents which require extensive editing.
- If you accept the offer, you will receive an invoice by email. Payment can be made via PayPal or bank transfer.
- On completion, you will receive two copies of the original document by email: one showing the corrections and editorial improvements, the other will be a 'clean' copy containing all changes ready for use.
Many proofreading and editing providers offer proofreading and editing services as separate entities and charge accordingly. I offer both - 'proof-editing' - at a very competitive price.
I charge 1.5 cents per word with a minimum charge of 10 Euros. This includes all proofreading and editing services. A further advantage is that VAT (Mwst) is not charged. (Mwst - Befreiung gemäß Art. 132 der europäischen Mwst-System-Richtlinie/ VAT exemption according to Article 132 of the European VAT guidelines).
A nondisclosure agreement can be provided on request.